Course SGD(Singapore Dollar)-JPY(Japanese Yen) for today
Quotes SGD/JPY for today .
Chart Singapore Dollar Japanese Yen
Online Cross Course SGD JPY
Currencies of Singapore Prior to Colonization As early as the 8th century AD, Chinese merchants introduced the first documented currency of the Malay Peninsula. Since there was no official currency at the time, Singapore's merchants usually used Spanish and Mexican Dollars. Paper money began to appear in the peninsula in the 18th and 19th centuries, issued by private banks such as the Asiatic Banking Corporation, the Chartered Mercantile Bank of India, and The Shanghai Banking Corporation.
- Central bank: The Monetary Authority of Singapore
- The Singapore dollar (also called Sing) is used by one of the world’s most prosperous countries.
- Singapore has a highly developed free-market economy characterized by stable prices and an open environment free of corruption.
- The economy is driven by exports, particularly in consumer electronics, IT products, pharmaceuticals and other chemicals.
- A growing financial services sector has positioned Singapore as the Southeast Asia’s financial hub.
Importance of the Japanese Yen The Japanese Yen is the third most traded currency in the world, and the most heavily traded currency in Asia. Due to its relatively low interest rates, the Japanese Yen is often used in carry trades with the Australian Dollar and the US Dollar. A carry trade is a strategy in which a currency with low interest rate is sold in order to buy a currency with a higher interest rate.
- Central bank: The Bank of Japan
- Since its defeat in World War II, Japan has become one of the world's largest and most technologically advanced manufacturers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, and so on.
- The JPY has appreciated against USD since the 1970s, making Japan’s manufactured goods more costly and less competitive.
- The Bank of Japan keeps interest rates at near-zero, making JPY a popular “carry trade” currency against other higher-yielding currencies.